Pheasant Wellington with Chillilicious Red Pepper Chilli Chutney
400g Chillilicious Red Pepper Chilli Chutney
4 pheasant breasts
400g wild mushrooms, finely chopped
4 large slices of parma ham
8 sheets of puff pastry
6 shallots, finely diced
300ml red wine
2 tbsp oil for cooking
2 eggs, yolks only
salt and pepper for seasoning
- Seal off the pheasant breast in a hot pan and set aside.
- Add shallots to a pan with a small amount of oil and cook until soft. Add red wine and madeira, leave to reduce.
- Heat oil and butter in pan, add in the mushrooms and cook until tender.
- Place mushrooms and Chillilicious Red Pepper Chilli Chutney into a blender and blitz until it resembles a paste.
- Lay out parma ham and spread a thin layer of the mushroom paste on top. Place breast in centre and wrap ham around.
- Then place the breast on one sheet of pastry, lay another sheet over the top like a sandwich. Make sure that you get as much air out as possible. Carefully mark the top of the pastry and cut neatly around the edges. Use a fork to crimp and seal the pastry edges.
- Brush the top of the pastry with the egg yolks and place in the oven at 180 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Strain the red wine sauce through a sieve and return to heat. Add small amounts of butter until it thickens. Serve drizzled over the top of the wellington.
Recipe created by Spud Henderson of SRUC Elmwood College
Winner of The Chillilicious Cook Off 2012