Warm Filled Bread with Chillilicious Apple & Pear Chutney
100g Chillilicious Apple & Pear Chilli Chutney
30g Fresh yeast
250ml Warm water
45g Olive oil
500g Strong flour
1tbs Fresh/dried mixed herbs (finely chopped)
- Mix the salt and strong flour in a large bowl. Create a well in the centre of the mix.
- Dissolve the yeast in warm water and then add the olive oil.
- Pour the yeast blend along with the herbs and 25g of Chillilicious Apple & Pear Chilli Chutney into the well and mix thoroughly until you have a dough like consistency.
- Flour a clean dry surface and place dough in the centre. Knead until the dough looks smooth.
- Place dough ball in a large bowl, cover the bowl with clingfilm and leave for approx 30 minutes somewhere warm and dry to allow yeast to activate. The dough will double in size, so be sure to use a bowl large enough to allow for the expansion.
- Once dough has doubled in size, knock back gently on table. Dough can be split into smaller balls to create 2 medium loafs or 10 rolls.
- To make the filled centre, create a well in the middle of the dough and add in 5g to 25g of chutney (depending on if you are making loafs or rolls). Gently shape the dough back over to cover the filling.
- Add dough to baking tin (baking tray for rolls) and leave to settle for 15 minutes.
- Glaze the top of the bread with the remainder of the chutney.
- Bake in oven at 200 degrees until bread is golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped.
Recipe created by Stephen Dow of SRUC Elmwood College
Runner Up of The Chillilicious Cook Off 2012