'Wee Nip' Whisky & Chilli Scotch Eggs with Chillilicious Naga Nip
2 tbsp Chillilicious Naga Nip Chilli Chutney
6 large free-range eggs
275g sausage meat
2 tbsp parsley (finely chopped)
4 rashers smoked bacon
150g dried breadcrumbs
About 1 litre sunflower or
vegetable oil for frying
Scraps of bread for testing oil
- Put 4 eggs into a large saucepan. Boil for 5 minutes. Remove eggs. Drop in the bacon rashers, turn off the heat and fish out the bacon as soon as it is cooked. Chop into small bits. Peel eggs.
- Put the sausage meat, bacon, parsley, and Chillilicious Naga Nip Chilli Chutney in a bowl with plenty of seasoning. Break in 1 of the remaining eggs and mix everything together.
- Crack remaining egg into another bowl, beat with fork, then seive into another bowl. Finally, tip the breadcrumbs into a seperate bowl again.
- Set up the ingredients like a conveyor belt: boiled eggs, meat, beaten egg and finally breadcrumbs, plus a baking parchment lined tray at the end to put the finished scotch eggs on.
- Take a good chunk of meat mixture and pat out to thinly cover one hand. Sit the egg on the mixture and mould the meat around it, squeezing and patting so it is an even thickness. Dip in the beaten egg, roll in the breadcrumbs to coat then transfer to tray. Repeat to cover all eggs.
- Pour the oil in a large, deep saucepan to about 4cm deep and heat. The oil is ready when a small chunk of bread browns in about 1 min.
- Carefully lower in a scotch egg and fry for about 5 mins, turning gently, until evenly browned. Lift out and cool on top of some kitchen roll. Enjoy!
Recipe created by Richard Webber of SRUC Elmwood College
Winner of The Chillilicious Cook Off 2015