Spicy Chilli & Whisky Spaghetti Bolognese with Chillilicious Naga Nip
1 tbsp Chillilicious Naga Nip Chilli Chutney
500g minced beef
2 sticks of celery (finely chopped)
2 carrots/2 onions/2 garlic cloves (finely diced)
Glass of red wine
1 tbsp tomato puree and 6 fresh tomatoes
400g chopped tomatoes (tinned)
350ml beef stock
1 tbsp chopped coriander
1 red chilli (finely chopped)
2 tbsp olive oil
Packet of dried spaghetti
- Put a splash of oil in a medium sized pan then brown the mince. Transport the browned mince into a container.|
- Add the celery, carrots and onions to the pan and soften for 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic and sweat for a further 1-2 minutes.
- Add tomato puree and fry for 5 minutes or so, enough in order to remove the raw flavour - be careful not to burn it at this stage.
- Add mince back to pan and stir. Add wine and cook until almost completely reduced, then add the chopped tomatoes, beef stock, Chillilicious Naga Nip Chilli Chutney and fresh tomatoes and simmer until thickened - about 1 and a half to 2 hours.
- To cook the pasta, add the dried spaghetti to a pot of salted boiling water with a splash of oil, cook for 8 minutes, drain, add to a serving bowl and toss with olive oil, coriander and chopped chilli.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Recipe created by James Finlayson of SRUC Elmwood College
Runner Up of The Chillilicious Cook Off 2015